How immobilize works

This is a long promised post about the new immobilize system introduced with the Dawn of Light release last Christmas. Immobilize abilities are those who alter the movement of creeps: Time Warp, Knockback, Stun and Slow. Steady creeps (or Vir) are totally immune to those abilities. All other creeps have an immobilize resistance. Initially, that resistance is 0%. When chance based immobilize abilities are rolled, the chance is first reduced by the current immobilize resistance of the creep. Whenever a creep is immobilized it gains +10% immobilize resistance. Also the immobilize resistance is steadily reduced at a rate of -10%/second. For instance, a level 99 Beaver has about 20% chance to stun. Here's an example of what would happen:
Event Effective chance Immobilize resistance
Creep spawned 20% 0%
Beaver attacks but does not stun 20% 0%
Beaver attacks and stuns 10% 10%
Simulation is updated (100ms) 11% 9%
Simulation is updated (100ms) 12% 8%
Beaver attacks and stuns 2% 18%
Simulation is updated (100ms) 3% 17%
Sorry it took so long to write this post! If you have any questions, please drop me a comment, I'm happy to answer all of them :-)

I like it. Makes sense. Will Luck have any effect in this at all?

So the immobilization resistance is additive? So if you are stunned more than once per second, the creep becomes basically immune? I have a couple suggestions to consider: Perhaps treat different effects differently. A time warp is (usually) much more significant than a beaver stun. It seems strange to treat them equally. Does a forward time warp give resistance? Different effects have different durations and there is synergy and anti-synergy between various effects. E.g. a second stun while already stunned is half as effective, a time warp or withered effect while slowed is less effective (creep is moved less distance), on the other hand, a gargoyle knockback while slowed is better (takes more time to recover the distance). Does Gib, Elvis and Kiwi effects add resistance? Can they be resisted? Right now they are guaranteed effects.

โ€žWhen chance based immobilize abilities are rolled, the chance is first reduced by the current immobilize resistance of the creep.โ€œ I think this excludes kiwi Elvis and gib

@dante1392 Will Luck have any effect in this at all? Luck is considered after the chance was adjusted by the immobilize resistance. @FuzzyEuk So the immobilization resistance is additive? So if you are stunned more than once per second, the creep becomes basically immune? Yes it is additive. That would be the case but you'd need to be very lucky to pull it off. Perhaps treat different effects differently. Right now only slow is treated different by adding only 5% instead of 10%. Does a forward time warp give resistance? No, a forward time warp doesn't change the resistance at all. Different effects have different durations and there is synergy and anti-synergy between various effects That's why I tried to keep it simple. I've recalculated a few thousand old games with the immobilize adjustments and played with the numbers. The simple system worked surprisingly well :-) Also, I'm very happy about the fact that after two months nobody complained that immobilize abilities behaved strange or felt bad. But of course this doesn't mean everything is already perfect. Does Gib, Elvis and Kiwi effects add resistance? Can they be resisted? No, they cannot be resisted (except for steady creeps). Elvis and Kiwi do not add resistance, Gib does.

That sounds good. And that seems fair with slow. About the Spider, does the +0.4% slow per level mean the slow is stronger or that the chance to slow is higher?

The slow is stronger :-)

Stepped on banana (Huli's ability) trigger that resistance?

Yes it does ๐Ÿ‘Œ